1. Fink P, Sorensen L, Engberg M, Holm M, Munk-Jorgensen P. Somatization in primary care. Prevalence, health care utilization, and general practitioner recognition. Psychosomatics 1999; 40:330–338.
2. Kroenke K, Mangelsdorff AD. Common symptoms in ambulatory care: incidence, evaluation, therapy, and outcome. Am J Med 1989; 86:262–266.
3. Barsky AJ, Ettner SL, Horsky J, Bates DW. Resource utilization of patients with hypochondriacal health anxiety and somatization. Medical Care 2001; 39:705–715.
4. Engel CC Jr, Liu X, Hoge C, Smith S. Multiple idiopathic physical symptoms in the ECA study: competing-risks analysis of 1-year incidence, mortality, and resolution. Am J Psychiatry 2002; 159:998–1004.
5. Bellon JA, Fernandez-Asensio ME. Emotional profile of physicians who interview frequent attenders. Patient Education & Counseling 2002; 48:33–41.
6. De Gucht V, Fischler B. Somatization: A critical review of conceptual and methodological issues. Psychosomatics 2002; 43:1–9.
7. Righter EL, Sansone RA. Managing somatic preoccupation. Am Fam Physician 1999; 59:3113–20.
8. Holloway KL, Zerbe KJ. Simplified approach to somatization disorder. When less may prove to be more. Postgrad Med 2000; 108:89–92, 95.
9. Servan-Schreiber D, Tabas G, Kolb NR. Somatizing patients: part II. Practical management. Am Fam Physician 2000; 61:1423–1428, 1431–1432.
10. Servan-Schreiber D, Kolb R, Tabas G. The somatizing patient. Prim Care 1999; 26:225–242.
11. Noyes R Jr, Holt CS, Kathol RG. Somatization. Diagnosis and management. Arch Fam Med 1995; 4:790–795.
12. Davanloo, H. Short-Term Dynamic Psychotherapy. New York: Jason Aronson; 1980.
13. Anderson E, Lambert M. Short-term dynamically oriented psychotherapy: A review and meta-analysis. Clinical Psychology Review 1995; 15:503–514.
14. Leichsenring F, Rabung S, Leibing E. The efficacy of short-term psychodynamic psychotherapy in specific psychiatric disorders: a meta-analysis. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2004; 61:1208–1216.
15. Svartberg M, Stiles TC, Seltzer MH. Randomized controlled trial of the effectiveness of short-term dynamic psychotherapy and cognitive therapy for cluster C personality disorders. Am J Psychiatry 2004; 161:810–817.
16. Abbass AA, Hancock JT, Henderson J, Kisely S. Shortterm psychodynamic psychotherapies for common mental disorders (Protocol for a Cochrane Review). 2004. In: The Cochrane Library. Chichester, UK: John Wiley and Sons, Ltd.
17. Sjodin I, Svedlund J, Ottoson J, Dotevall G. Controlled study of psychotherapy in chronic peptic ulcer disease. Psychosomatics 1986; 27:187–200.
18. Creed FLF, Guthrie E, Palmer S, et al. The cost-effectiveness of psychotherapy and paroxetine for severe irritable bowel syndrome. Gastroenterology 2003; 124:303–317.
19. Hamilton J, Guthrie E, Creed F. A randomized controlled trial of psychotherapy in patients with chronic functional dyspepsia. Gastroenterology 2000; 119:661–669.
20. Baldoni F, Baldaro B, Trombini G. Psychotherapeutic perspectives in urethral syndrome. Stress Medicine 1995; 11:79–84.
21. Abbass A. The cost-effectiveness of short-term dynamic psychotherapy. Journal of Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research 2003; 3:535–539.
22. Davanloo H. Intensive short-term dynamic psychotherapy with highly resistant patients. I. Handling resistance. International Journal of Short-Term Psychotherapy 1986; 1:107–133.
23. Davanloo H. The technique of unlocking the unconscious in patients suffering from functional disorders. Part I. Restructuring ego’s defenses. In: Davanloo H. Unlocking the Unconscious. Chichester, England: John Wiley & Sons; 1990:283–306.
24. Katon W, Sullivan M, Walker E . Medical symptoms without identified pathology: relationship to psychiatric disorders and adult trauma, and personality traits. Ann Intern Med 2001; 1:917–925.
25. Roter D, Ewart CK. Emotional inhibition in essential hypertension: Obstacle to communication during medical visits? Health Psychology 1992; 11:163–169.
26. Venable VL, Carlson CR, Wilson J. The role of anger and depression in recurrent headache. Headache 2001; 41:21–30.
27. Whorwell PJ, Houghton LA, Taylor EE, Maxton DG. Physiological effects of emotion: assessment via hypnosis. Lancet 1992; 340:434.
28. Davanloo H. Intensive short-term dynamic psychotherapy: Spectrum of psychoneurotic disorders. In Davanloo H. Intensive Short-Term Dynamic Psychotherapy. Chichester, England: John Wiley and Sons; 2001.
29. Servan-Schreiber D, Tabas G. Somatizing patients part I: practical diagnosis. Am Fam Physician 2000; 61:1073–1078.
30. Abelson JL, W. J., Neese RM, Curtis GC. Persistent respiratory irregularity in patients with panic disorder. Biological Psychiatry 2001; 49:588–595.
31. CMA Guide to Physician Health and Well-being. 2003. Canadian Medical Association.
32. Coombs RH, Perrell K, Ruckh JM. Primary prevention of emotional impairment among medical trainees. Acad Med 1990; 65:576–581.